- Structural changes causing lower health spending growth, studies find
- States focus on consumer experience in Medicaid modernization
- What avoiding the fiscal cliff might mean to Medicare
- Big data and public health, part 2: Reducing unwarranted services
- Mostashari: No CIO should have to choose between ACO, MU
- Why modernizing state IT infrastructures is crucial for HIX
- HHS puts a cool $1 billion toward Innovation Awards
- Tavenner confirmation triggers applause from industry
- Medicare Strike Force nails 89 fraudsters
- CMS won't fine hospitals in states slow to expand Medicaid
- Enterprise-class API Patterns for Cloud & Mobile
- New World Order: Effectively Securing Healthcare Data Through Secure Information Exchanges
- Easier Ways for PACS/RIS End Users to Manage Applications and Desktop Environments
- Accelerate Healthcare Reform with Information Technology
- Case Study: Blood Systems Expands Remote Access Connectivity to Prepare for Disaster
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has added descriptive specification sheets for Meaningful Use Stage 2 to help eligible physicians and hospitals to participate and complete the measures for the electronic health record (EHR) incentive programs.
Each specification sheet includes the objective, measure, and how to calculate the numerator and denominator where needed for each core and menu objective, such as for computerized provider order entry (CPOE) or generate lists of patients by conditions, according to a Nov. 9 CMS update. The information also provides a definition of important terms, how to qualify for an exclusion and the attestation requirements.
The specification sheets also detail the corresponding standards and certification criteria that the EHR system should be capable of performing to meet the stage 2 measure. For example for CPOE, an EHR must enable a user to electronically record, change and access orders for medications, laboratory and radiology/imaging.
The specification sheets can be found on the Stage 2 page of the EHR website.
The Stage 2 Specification Sheet Table of Contents by physician and by hospital lists all the core and menu objectives, with direct links to each individual measure specification sheet. Providers can also download zip files aimed at physician or at hospital that contain PDFs of all of the core and menu objectives they will need.
The earliest that the stage 2 criteria will be effective is in fiscal year 2014 for eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals or calendar year 2014 for eligible physicians and professionals, CMS said.