- An unlikely state to run ACA small biz HIX
- ACA CO-OP eyes Arizona's unisured
- ONC fellows: Providers teaching providers
- HIT group to create cybersecurity framework
- Infographic: Healthcare execs pay big campaign money in 2012
- Nursing informatics education growing gradually more robust
- The problems with BYOD
- Event Log Management & Compliance Best Practices: For Government & Healthcare Industry Sectors
- The VNA Strategy: Balancing Workflow and Enterprise Imaging Management
- Taming Complexity: A New Solution for In-House Healthcare EDI
- HIPAA Compliant Hosting
- New World Order: Effectively Securing Healthcare Data Through Secure Information Exchanges
The Louisville-based insurer Humana has acquired Certify Data Systems, a health information exchange vendor, on undisclosed terms.
Humana executives said they were interested in Certify's "Health Logix" platform, which allows clinical information exchange across various electronic health record systems and is offered in multiple configurations, with cloud-based options.
Amid the search for cost savings, the use of new care models like ACOs and business diversification, Humana is the third insurer in recent years to purchase an HIE technology maker. Last January, Aetna completed the $500 million acquisition of the health IT vendor Medicity, not long after UnitedHealth Group's Ingenix division bought Axolotl.
[See also: Slideshow: The election and the ACA's future]
"Humana remains focused on leveraging the power of technology to provide a more coordinated patient experience for our members that will enable quality, affordable health care," Brian LeClaire, chief information and service officer at Humana, said in a news release. "With the health information exchange platform from Certify we can move closer to creating a virtual integrated delivery health care system that can help us deliver this value-added, simplistic experience to our members."
Paul Kusserow, Humana's chief strategy and corporate development officer, added later in the press release that the acquisition "can help us create a unique and simplistic consumer experience by connecting providers, members and Humana."
Insurers in the health industry are adapting to a new retail consumer market, with private and public health insurance exchanges that demand new IT and administrative systems.
Marc Willard, Certify Data Systems founder and CEO, said the HIE platform "can help Humana scale their network to bring the benefits of this technology to Humana’s provider community.”