- Your Cloud in Healthcare - How to Use the Cloud to Achieve Greater Business Agility
- A Reference Architecture for Healthcare Benefit Exchange
- The State of EHR Adoption: On The Road to Improving Patient Safety
- Big Data for Healthcare Application Management
- Event Log Management & Compliance Best Practices: For Government & Healthcare Industry Sectors
The Managed Care Executive Group, a national organization of U.S. senior health plan executives, met last week in Arizona to discuss the top issues that health plans face in 2011.
The 22nd Annual Forum, lead by industry thought leaders such as Dr. David Brailer, Thomas Main, Dr. Karen Bell, Jeff Margolis and 14 other invited healthcare experts, focused heavily on the forward progression of healthcare retail, enabling innovation and technology, payment reform, and the rising role of consumers via social media and individual markets including Medicaid and Medicare.
Each year The Managed Care Executive Group polls health plan executives and industry thought leaders across the country via surveys, webinars and other events to compile a list of issues impacting health insurance organizations. At their yearly forum the executives voted their "Top 10" issues, as represented below.
This year's list changed quite significantly from a year ago when the list was dominated by the role of government. "In such a rapidly changing environment, MCEG members and nationally recognized executives offered additional clarification and guidance on how health plan priorities continue to evolve and what they can do to address them," said Alan Abramson, the outgoing chairperson of MCEG, SVP and CIO of HealthPartners, and Emeritus MCEG board member. "The discussions were invaluable for our members to survive and thrive in 2011 and beyond."
Voted as the Top 10 issues in 2011 for health plans:
1. Administrative Mandates (Compliance HIPAA 5010, ICD-10, etc.).
2. Care Management, Data Analytics, and Informatics.
3. Health Insurance Exchanges and Individual Markets.
4. New Provider Payment & Delivery Systems (ACOs, PCMHs, etc.).
5. Bend the Cost Trend.
6. Medicare and Medicaid.
7. Health Information Exchanges and EMRs.
8. Consumer's Role in the Modernization of Healthcare.
9. Reform Uncertainties.
10. Payer/Provider Interoperability.
"These issues, and others that become critical, will continue to be the topics of additional webinars, white papers and discussions over the next year within MCEG," said Vince Ferri, VP & CIO of AvMed Health Plans, and the newly elected chairperson of MCEG. "We invite all health plan executives to join us in addressing these priority issues with a focus on enhancing collaboration and working on affordability."
Click here to read full descriptions of the top ten issues.