The adoption of a Laboratory Information Management System or LIMS can be one of the most effective ways to increase the productivity of a laboratory.
The most important role that LIMS plays in a laboratory is to increase the operational efficiency of the laboratory by automating and streamlining the workflows, eliminating the need for maintaining information manually and meeting regulatory guidelines.
A LIMS helps standardize workflows, tests and procedures, while providing accurate controls of the process.
Instruments may be integrated into the LIMS to automate collection of test data, ensuring they are properly calibrated and operated by trained staff only.
Most labs are using some sort of LIMS or are considering upgrading to one because of its many benefits.
A Laboratory Information Management System offers a multitude of benefits in terms of laboratory data management.
Some of the key benefits include:
- Sample Management
- Workflow Automation
- Configurable User Interfaces
- Secure and restricted access – better data privacy and protection
- Easy data backup and data mining
- Robust reporting capabilities
- Streamlined billing processes
- Easy regulatory compliance including HIPAA, 21 CFR Part 11, ISO/IEC 17025:2017, ISO 15189, EU GDPR, ISO 20387, Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), Good Laboratory Practice (GLP), and Good Automated Manufacturing Practice (GAMP)
In this article we are going to talk about the best LIMS so you can choose one that best fits the needs of your lab.
We will first cover the best Commercial LIMS systems and then go over some Free options as well, let’s get started!
Here are the Best LIMS Software for your Lab:
COMMERCIAL LIMS SYSTEMS
eLABInvebtory is designed by scientists for scientists with an intuitive user interface which enables users to find their way trough the system easily with its web-faced interface.
eLabInventory is part of eLABJournal, an integrated system that includes both a LIMS and an Electronic Laboratory Notebook system.
This product does not require any software installation on the client computer.
It is suitable for any lab, no matter what you need to track, it can be tailored to meet your needs.
- Flexible and adjustable for any lab
- Intuitive and easy-to-use
- Secure & compliant
- Keep stocks up to date
- LDAP/AD Authentication
- User Roles and Permissions
- Two-step verification
- Excellent support
- Automatic and Real-time Data Back-ups
- Apps and Ad-ons
- Sample Barcoding
With CoreLIMS you can collect, share, analyze, and archive scientific data.
The pre-built workflows can help streamline processes but you can also create your own customizable workflows as wewll as add applications from the Thermo Fisher Platfor for Science Marketplace Solution.
This product is available in the cloud or on-premise making them the first and only LIMS provider in Amazon Web Services Life Sciences Competency Partner Program.
- Lab Inventory and Storage Management
- Lab Project Management
- Electronic Document Management
- Lot, Batch and Case Management
- Customized reporting
- Workflow management
- Prioritizing queues and work-list management
LabCollectore is built around independent modules that can interact with each other and it manages a variety of day-to-day useful lab information.
LabCollector can be accessed from any computer on the intranet and the main concept behind LabCollector LIMS is that each scientist in the lab can quickly access and modify data and make it available to the rest of the lab community.
You can also add storage accessories for handheld scanners and label printers.
- Management modules
- Storage system
- Barcoding and mobility
- Security, traceability and integrity
- Central information database
- Multilingual platform
- Extensive customization for non informaticians
- Perpetuation of information & Traceability
- Simple licensing
BioVIA LIMS provides a flexible, platform-based cloud solution that allows organizations to work in an agile cost effective manner while digitalizing and streamline lab workflows for regulated and non-regulated spaces.
This software allows organizations to control lab operations, manage and tracks samples and easily adapt to changing needs.
- Streamlined workflows
- Increase accuracy and consistency of data, information, and processes
- Reduced errors and re-work with automated data transfer
- Increase regulatory compliance
- Preserve data integrity
- Reduce cycle times and costs
- Minimize IT overhead
STARLIMS helps simplify the complexity of your entire product life-cycle management process.
It easily integrates with your current systems, while also identifying opportunities to improve processes.
This software can also help organizations identify opportunities to improve processes.
- Web portal and mobile solution
- Automated interfaces
- Automated public health reporting
- Cloud based
- Easy to use and implement
- Testing workflows
The offering is specifically geared toward making the work of lab managers easier, with features including work assignment and research planning functionality.
The solution also includes automated issue tracking, bulk data upload, and data management capabilities.
There is a tight integration between their electronic lab notebook and their lab execution system.
- Capture externally generated data
- Robust storage options
- Maintain data integrity compliance in a single platform
- Single user interface
- End-to-end data integrity
- “Capture, Reuse, and Maintain Data Integrity
Exemplar Research LIMS
Exemplar Research LIM was created by Sapio Sciences and there are different versions of the product for various industries such as research, sequencing and histopathology.
Nothing needs to be installed on a scientist’s computer other than a modern web browser.
Although there isn’t much unfortunately on their website regarding features and details, you can request a free demo!
- Digital labs views
- Quickly configure complex process workflows
- Chain workflows
- Automation features
Simple LIMS Software
Simple LIMS Software is a great, inexpensive product for Windows users.
This application is simply installed as a desktop application and runs on an Access database.
It is an open source laboratory information management software that allows you to easily organize your order workflows and control your lab documents.
- Manage current lab workflows
- Add new capabilities over time without additional coding
- Affordable solutions for small labs
- Import/export data from Spreadsheets to another database
- Accessible through the Internet cloud
Matrix Gemini is a configurable laboratory information management system (LIMS) that helps laboratories manage large volumes of data to strict standards while at the same time improving efficiencies, automation and turnaround times.
One of the main features of Autoscribe’s LIMS software is a set of configuration tools designed to efficiently create optimized, yet highly adaptable, workflows.
- Quality assurance
- Workflow management
- Sample management
- Instrumentation and documentation
- Electronic lab notebook
- Lab execution systems
- Quotation and invoicing
- Stability studies
LabWare LIMS has been around for a long time making them a pioneer in the industry.
Today they provide both a desktop and cloud version of their LIMS.
- Three options: on-premise, Platform as a Service (PaaS), Software as a Service (SaaS)
- Result entry
- Sample login/management
- Inventory management
- Reporting tools
- External linking
- Ad Hoc Query, Data visualization, and Analytics
- Integration of Instruments
FREE LIMS SOLUTIONS
This open source project was created by a team out of South Africa in 2002.
The platform can be customized for different industries and it shines when used in production labs rather than for research labs.
- Free and open source
- Browser based
- IS 17025 accreditation ready
- Realtime sample and analysis tracing and results
- Account interface
- Reports and graphs
- Quality control module
This LIMS is under active development by the Klavins lab at the University of Washington.
It’s a process-centric software that has been successfully deployed by a number a synthetic biology labs.
- Build your own workflows
- Community generated workflows
- Inventory and data management
- Cost estimation and tracking
- Location monitoring
- Progress monitoringAquariu
Leaf LIMS provides a lab information management system that helps to track the complex life cycle of samples in a synthetic biology lab environment.
Offering workflow, inventory and sample tracking the LIMS is flexible and can be used in almost any lab that requires sample data recording.
- Tracking of samples and products produced during the process
- Inventory tracking
- Customizable alerting
- Integration with ordering systems
- Extensive test suite to ensure new features don’t impact existing functionality
Quartzy is a 100% free SIMS solution but does not include other LIMS features like sample management.
It only handles a very specific aspect of laboratory management which is the procurement of supplies.
This is ideal for smaller, less complex labs who are looking for a free solution to help organize the procurement of their supplies.
- Management of procurement of supplies
- No download needed
- Setup in minutes
- Easy to use
Lockbox LIMS from Third Wave Analytics is the first cloud-based LIMS system built on Salesforce.com and provides a complete end-to-end management workflow for medical labs with any specialty. Unlike other LIMS systems that lean on disconnected databases, limited customization capabilities, and unattractive user interfaces, Lockbox LIMS is a system built for the modern lab looking to improve efficiency, communication, and organization not just in the lab, but across the entire company.
- Complete customization available that caters to the exact needs of any type or size of laboratory.
- Includes built-in regulatory support for CLIA, HIPAA, 21 CFR Part 11, GDPR
- Robust requisition and sample tracking capabilities to ensure the security, trackability, and quality of every in-house sample from accession to post-testing storage.
- Supports the protocol execution for the simplest SOPs to the most complicated testing workflows.
- Customer Portal allows clients to submit their own information, track sample progress, and get results in real time.
- The inventory management module automatically tracks the use of reagents and testing materials, and monitors unique details like lot numbers, expirations, and how/where products are being consumed.
- Equipment monitoring including digital manual storage, re-calibration notifications, and alerts when regular maintenance is required.
- Complete implementation support and ongoing API integration support for the tools you already use
- Increased efficiency, decreased overhead