Hospitals are always open and hospital staff need to be prepared for anything from treating life-threatening conditions to the common cold.
With different departments, programs, specialties, and complex equipment, hospitals need a way to seamlessly manage and share information across these different areas.
Hospital Management is the process where healthcare providers effectively and efficiently administer everything from patient registration to appointment scheduling, document management, consultation management, lab management, drug safety, report generation, staff management, outpatient management, and so much more.
However, achieving all of the above can be difficult, especially for hospitals that still rely on small budgets and on paper-based records like those in the developing world.
There is no doubt that Hospital management software systems are paving the way to better healthcare and with technological advances and open source, great hospital management is more attainable than ever – even for developing countries.
This is where Open Source Hospital Management Software comes into play, not only for the patients, but also for medical professionals and the healthcare system as a whole.
A Hospital Management System (HMS) can come in a few different product types like cloud based, on-premise, free, paid and open source hospital management solutions.
The Hospital Management System enables hospitals, healthcare centers and staff to function systematically and manage information effectively to offer better patient care.
The system integrates all information and data related to doctors, patients, staff, and departments and provides a way to securely and seamlessly streamline processes and care.
Benefits of HMS Include:
- Enhanced information integrity and data security
- Improved monitoring
- Improved communication and information transfer
- Efficient and accurate hospital administration
- Minimal/zero data errors
- Patient empowerment and control
- Increased revenue
- Built in messaging, mail systems, alerts, and notifications
- Scalable and easy to use
- So much more
Having a Hospital Management Software makes this and more possible and in this article we are going to talk about the best open source options, most of which have free versions.
Hospital Management Software systems can be expensive so in this article we are going to focus on the ones that offer free, affordable, and up-gradable versions that are open source.
Here are the Best Free and Open Source Hospital Management Software of 2022:
OpenEMR is perhaps the most popular Free and Open Source Hospital management Software solution out there.
This software is ONC certified as a complete EHR and fulfills the electronic record management and hospital management functionalities for healthcare facilities of all sizes both large and small.
With over 30 language options, this software includes an impressive list of features including a series of turn-key solutions with Amazon’s cloud services.
- ONC Certified as Complete EHR.
- Track patient demographics.
- Patient scheduling including appointment notifications via email and sms, compact and flexible appointment calendar.
- Patient flow board, tracking, and reporting.
- Supports multiple facilities.
- Electronic medical records – interoperability, encounters, medical issues, medications, immunizations, forms and clinical notes, group therapy, labs, patient reports, referrals, patient notes, electronic document management, medical image viewer, and more.
- Prescriptions – online drug search, track patient prescriptions and medications, create and send prescriptions.
- Medical billing
- Clinical decision rules – physician reminders, patient reminders, and more.
- Patient portal – Modern user interface, scheduling and appointments, secure messaging and chat, online payments, new patient registrations, medical records, and more.
- Reports – appointments, patient lists, referrals, immunizations, and more.
- Multi-language support in nearly 30 languages.
Open Clinic GA
Open Clinic GA is known for its extensive reporting features. It is another widely used option because of its systematic approach towards integrated information management facilities.
The open source covers management of administrative financial, clinical, lab, x-ray, pharmacy, meals distributions and other data.
This software is focused on limited resource hospitals.
- Human resource management module available
- Full scheduling system integrated
- Modules include Human resource management, Lab and Pathology management, ADT management, pharmacy management, database management, and integrated patient appointment & Scheduling system
- Barcode recognition
- Complete ADT management
- Full billing system
- Barcode recognition
- Highly customizable using java class extensions
- Multilingual – English, French, Dutch, Spanish, and Portuguese
- 500+ implementations
- Availability of clinical thesaurus
OpenMRS is user-centered, open sourced, community driven and is a project supported by international governments; NGO’s, profit, and non-profit organizations.
Their intention is to enable hospitals all over the world to provide better patient care and hospital administration.
They specifically respond to those actively building and managing health systems in the developing world.
- Powerful registration and scheduling module
- Patient repository
- Role based homepage
- Dictionary interface
- Patient workflows
- Supports complex data such as images, audio files, and more
- Extendable architecture
- Robust reporting feature
- Location-based login
One Touch EMR
One Touch EMR is another easy-to-use, functional, and highly customizable hospital management software.
This software was designed and developed by a physician and covers all aspects of hospital administration and core workflows.
The free plan allows users to access many of the core features for an unlimited period of time.
- Complies with E&M coding guidelines
- EMR for iPad, Android & Windows
- Patient portal
- iPad Clinical Photos
- Electronic labs and orders
- Supports group practices and multiple offices
- Excellent support system with online training videos
- Medical voice dictation facility
- Touch screen interface
- Coding and billing management
HospitalRun is another top-rated free and open source software chosen by healthcare facilities all over the world.
This system will fit in with organization of all sizes and all levels of resources, even less resourced healthcare facilities.
Their motto is “free, easy-to-use software” and it is a free offline-first EHR/HIS application.
This software is built specifically for low and medium income countries and align well with today’s rural healthcare set-ups.
- Offline enabled – allows records to be carried to remote clinics, it works when the internet is not available, and syncs when it is.
- Patient registration, scheduling and appointment management
- Integrates with radiology and imaging
- Doctor and claims management
- Customizable report generation system
- Integrates with lab and pathology information
- Billing system
- Patient records management
This software is specifically designed to minimize errors that hospitals face during the day-to-day operations.
Bahmni is an effective software system that gives hospitals and healthcare providers the ability to improve patient care and efficiently manage clinical and diagnostic functionalities.
- Patient registration
- Clinical services – capture, maintain, and access clinical records of patients.
- Laboratory features allow the management of patient orders, samples and tests.
- Inpatient management
- Stock management
- Billing and accounting functionality
- Reporting capabilities
Advanced Hospital Management System
This software works well with any type and size of healthcare set up.
The features enable efficient management of areas across patient registration, information management, Inpatients, Outpatients management, Billing, Lab, Radiology, Doctors, Pharmacy and much more.
This open source software is available as a free version with all core features.
- Inpatient and outpatient modules
- Appointment and registration features
- Patient information management
- Drug managment
- Hospital database management
- Lab and radiology integrations
- Customizable reports
- Billing module
- Customizable currency
MedKey Hospital Management Software fits all hospital standards.
This Free and Open Source Hospital Management Software is perfect to automate clinic business and patient care functions.
The box application gives you guaranteed data ownership and safety.
- Simple, easy design with easy-to-use dashboard
- Integrated Medical CRM
- Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- Accounting modules
- Works on any device or operating system
- Customized planning and forecasting faculties
- Client service quality control instruments
- Complete database management
VistA stands for “veterans integrated systems technical architecture.”
VistA is a free and open source solution and the most renowned integrated healthcare system.
They have a track record of supporting a huge variety of clinical settings and is rates one of the most convenient and easy-to-use hospital management software system.
- Comprehensive EHR system
- Patient management features
- Integrates with Drug, Radiology, and Pathology information
- Billing dashboard
- Doctor and patient appointment management
Open Hospital is one of the best hospital management software for small and mid-sized hospitals and is a Free and Open Source Hospital Management System ideal for the healthcare set-ups in rural areas.
The hospital doesn’t require any maintenance and offers and excellent support system to users.
- Patient management and registration
- Multi-user and multi-group
- In-patient management
- Pregnancy management
- Pharmacy management
- Therapy management
- SMS reminder capabilities
- Billing modules
- Supports multiple languages
- Customizable reports
Several research organizations are projecting that Hospital Management Software Systems are going to expand rapidly, with the US and Canada leading in popularity of maintaining digital health records and better hospital management.
There are so many benefits for hospitals and healthcare providers as well as better care for patients and an overall cost savings.
The above list of free and open source hospital management software offers a solution for hospitals and clinics of all sizes and budgets to help them move in the right direction for their staff and most importantly, their patients.